A Drag Screaming End to a Great Month 2/29/12

 In Fishing reports

Yesterday, was the last day of the month and I decided to make it extra special by running a double trip. This was the first decent weather day we have had in over a week, so, I figured it would be a great way to make up for several recent weather cancelations. Not only was the weather decent but the tide was very good too. I had high hopes for these trips since the conditions were just the way I like them.

I met the first group at Shoreline park around 8am. Everyone had downed their morning coffee and were eager for some drag screaming fun! We headed  toward the pass for the first part of the trip to do some deep dropping. The very first drop my client hooked into something BIG! after a 10  minute fight he landed a monster bay grouper. This was the largest bay grouper ever landed on my boat. This got the monkey off our backs early. The second drift we caught a perfect 27in redfish. My thoughts were this is going to be an epic day! After a hot start the bite slowed for a bit. We grinded it out and managed a handful of big sheepshead, and some nice snapper. The redfish bite never turned on like I thought it would. O well, that’s fishin!

For the last part of the trip I decided to move to some docks that I caught some nice reds on just last week. The conditions were perfect for dock fishing and yet again I had high hopes for catching redfish. When we arrived at the dock I noticed something very strange for the area I was fishing. The water looked like sweet tea and was covered with a white foam like substance on top. I knew right away that this area had encountered too much fresh water from the previous weeks rain. We pitched docks for 10 minutes without a bite and then called it a day. I took my guys back and cleaned their fish and prepared for my afternoon trip.  I really enjoyed fishing with this group of guys and I hope their Pensacola fishing experience was enjoyable!

My afternoon crew were repeat customers that I had a great time with on the water the week before. We headed back out to the pass to see if the redfish bite would turn on. We drifted several times catching red snapper on each drift. Finally, my client Dave, hooked up on a big fish. After a 5 minute battle he landed a nice 10lb red snapper. We caught red snapper all afternoon until the tide turned. When the tide turned the snapper bite shut off. I had a good feeling the outgoing tide would produce some bull reds. I was right! We just had trouble landing them:) We ended up hanging 3 monster bull reds and the hook pulled on all three of them. None the less I had another great time with Dave and his wife. They were great people to have on the boat.

After a long day a long day on the water it was time to go home and grab a beer and a hamburger!

Capt Brant



Recommended Posts
Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Close It